Thursday, February 24, 2011

First day of Chemo ... El primer dia de la quimio.

Well, Tuesday I had the first chemotherapy treatment. All went well, a long day but I felt good all through it. Now we are on the lookout for side-effects during the rest of the week. One day has passed and  I am still feeling pretty good, let's hope it continues this way.
I got the results of the PET and CT scans. I took it as good news. My regular doctor was not around so I need to wait  to have a more detailed discussion. The highlights are: the lung tumor we were treating (big nasty troublesome one that sent my to the hospital) has shrunk as expected, the untreated ones in the lungs and lymph nodes grew some (not unexpected after two months of no treatment) and there is NO trace of the cancer moving to any other organ or bones. This last bit made my day.
Bottom line, I feel better and we are marching ahead with the actual treatment to attack all tumors. Hopefully all will look great in 18 weeks. For now, trying to keep the side-effects to a minimum, and see if I can have a "normal life" (at least part time).
On the lighter side, the elevator (we live in a fourth floor) has been out for over two weeks. I have been thinking of getting the Rocky theme for when I have to climb the stairs, my forced exercise when I leave the apartment ...

Cheers.


El Martes tuve la primera session de la quimio. Todo fue bien, fue dia largo pero me senti bien. Ahora estamos observando con cuidado, si hay effectos secundarions por lo que queda de esta semana. Ya he pasado dia y medio y estoy de perlas, que siga asi.
Me dieron los resultados de los PET y CAT scans, y caen por el lado bueno. Aun tengo que hablar con el medico (no estaba en la oficina el Martes) para obtener una interpretacion de los resultados con mas detalle. Pero lo importante es que (a) el tumor grande que estabamos tratando con la radiacion se ha reducido considerablemente (este es el que me mando al hospital), (b) los otros han crecido algo (era de esperar pues no los hemos tratado por dos meses) y (c) el cancer NO se ha extendido ha otros organos o los huesos. Esto ultimo me tenia muy precocupado. Asi que alegria, alegria (pero sin vino).
Ahora empezamos la batalla de verdad, quimio para to do el cancer. Con suerte todo tendra buena pinta en 18 semanas. Pero por ahora, nos centramos en mantener los effectos secundarios a un minimo e intentar llevar una vida normal (aunque sea a media jornada)
En menos serio, el apartament esta en un tercer piso y el ascensor lleva averiado mas de dos semanas. Asi que he pensado en poner la musica de Rocky (cuando corre por las escaleras arriba y abajo) como motivacion cuando me toca subir, cada vez que salgo de casa ...

Hasta la siguiente.

1 comment:

  1. Xabier - Glad to hear that the big tumor is shrinking. Not sure I am doing this blog comment correctly but assuming you get this know that I keep track of your posts and you are in my prayers. If you would be up for a short visit the next time I am in LLNL let me know at dekin1 and I will contact you when I am traveling.
    Take care my friend.

    Walter

    ReplyDelete